Best Moving Tips
Moving is certainly a stressful thing and most people don't enjoy it. However, with the right moving tips, it doesn't have to be so stressful. It all starts with the right packing materials, but you still need to know how to use those materials. If you want to ensure your items make it from one location to another, without damage, you need the best tips for moving you can find.
The Professionals Moving Specialists don't take responsibility for damaged items unless the exterior of the carton shows visible damage. If you do the packing yourself, it's important to understand the best techniques to keep your items protected.
When moving into a new home, you may decide you need some help. The Professional Moving Specialists offer packing and unpacking services to help make your move easier. If you decide to use these services, we will pack all of your items for the move and even unpack everything for you when we arrive at your new home.
Top Local Moving Tips
You need plenty of moving tips when you are moving. Whether you are moving to Chicago from another city or moving from one location to another within the city, the right local moving tips will help make the process go smoothly.
- Start planning your move as far ahead as possible. Work with your Chicago Real Estate agent to determine a time you can start the process. As soon as you know you will be moving, reserve your mover and start putting together a plan.
- Make sure to read and understand the terms and conditions of the contract you sign with your movers. You don't want to be surprised on moving day by a hidden charge or something you weren't expecting.
- If you will be packing your items yourself, start as soon as possible. You don't want to be stuck packing up everything the night before the movers show up.
- Pack a box of items you will need immediately. Label this box "TO BE OPENED FIRST" and make sure it includes things you need, such as toiletries, tools, remote controls, etc.
- Allow the professionals to pack any extremely fragile items, fine art or antiques.
- Don't pack any open liquids to go into the moving truck. They may leak and cause damage to other boxes during shipment.
- Use smaller boxes for packing heavy items to make the boxes easier to carry. This moving tip will also help you avoid boxes breaking due to strain.
- Use moving labels for fragile items and to ensure the right boxes are packed on top of other boxes.
- Label all your boxes for the top side and put your name and destination on the boxes in bold letters.
- Label boxes for each specific area of your home and inform the movers of the areas for each box.
- Hire a professional to disconnect and service any major appliances before you move.
- Defrost your freezer and refrigerator before the day you move and make sure they are empty before moving day.
- Get rid of any flammable items, such as fuels, matches, aerosols and propane tanks before moving day.
- Remove all items from dresser drawers, along with fragile items and liquids.
- Make sure the most valuable items, such as jewelry, currency and documents travel with you. Movers will not take responsibility for items of "extraordinary value."
- Keep your personal phone book and cell phone with you in case you need to make an important call during transit.
- Get in touch with your Moving Consultant a few days before the move to confirm and review any final details.
- Keep a list of goods and review it with your truck foreman, along with the condition of the items at the time of loading.
- Do a final walkthrough of your home to ensure you have packed everything. Check the cupboards, closets, behind doors and other areas of your home.
- Give your truck foreman a number where you can be reached after you leave. You should also provide an alternative contact number just in case.
- When moving during extreme temperatures, make sure to allow time for your electronics to acclimatize before you plugin them in.